Please note the following rules regarding qualification into the Society of American Travel Writers as a freelancer:
New Member: 12 months
Requalification: 36 months
1) You will need 21 points according to the chart below, or you must meet the blogger/website owner requirements, in order to qualify for membership.
2) The maximum number of points that may be attributed to a single project, other than books, regardless of word count or photo contributions, is 8 points.
3) Everything you submit with your freelance application must be for paid work—work published without payment will not be considered.
4) A travel article, image, video, broadcast, blog entry, website contribution, or mobile app must be editorial content that shows, describes, evaluates, discusses and/or facilitates travel. The viewpoint must not be dictated by any advertiser or travel vendors referenced in the article.
5) Advertorial or promotional copy can be used for one third (7) of the points for membership. Advertorial content is paid for by an advertiser, brand or sponsor, such as a resort, a tourist board or a CVB. Sponsored copy should be clearly presented on blogs or in print as sponsored content. Custom publications containing editorial content, such as in-flight magazines, are allowed.
6) Any combination of travel books (or chapters), articles (print or online), images, videos, broadcasts or individual unit sales will be considered. The work need not be bylined or captioned if the editor or publisher of the publication will attest to its authorship.
7) In the case of dual bylines, the production of the team must meet the requirements for two memberships. A single applicant earns half points for a co-bylined article.