Freelance Council members must be one of the following:
- A freelance writer in newspapers, magazines or electronic format (website, blog, e-book, app, etc.)
- A travel or staff photographer or travel stock photography supplier
- A travel book author/reviser
- A broadcast host or producer
- A contributor to a web outlet that qualifies under current SATW membership requirements
- A salaried travel writer
- The owner of a travel website/blog that generates a proven revenue stream and has a minimum of 10,000 unique visitors per month for the last 12 months.
Members who've won a Lowell Thomas Award within the last two years are exempt from requalification until the next requalification period for their group. Lifetime and Emeritus members are also exempt from the requalification process.
For partial requalification,
freelancers need 7 points for work published between July 1, 2020, and June 30, 2021. Note that you must have received monetary payment for the work you submit for requal.
For full requalification,
freelancers need 21 points for work published between July 1, 2020, and June 30, 2021. Note that you must have received monetary payment for the work you submit for requal.
Book writers can earn points toward requalification by showing a contract for a book or revision signed within the last 24 months.
For the purposes of this form "clip" refers to any piece of media (book, article, photograph, video, etc.) that counts towards achieving points, as described in the link below.
To calculate points:
- Open the points chart to use as a reference. Open here
- If you don't know your clips UVs/Circulation, please refer to this list. If your clip isn't on here, please reach out to your contact at the outlet. Staff will be unable to help with obtaining UVs and Circulations.
- Note: dual-bylined articles count for half the points of single-bylined articles
You may use any combination
of outlets for points (calculated from the points chart) as long as your total comes to either 7 points for partial requalification or 21 points for full requalification.
Salaried travel writers
You may submit the three most recent articles from your publication that show your name and title—or a letter from your editor verifying that the articles are your work. No points are necessary. This option is available only to those currently employed and writing for a newspaper with a paid circulation in excess of 40,000, a magazine with a circulation over 20,000, or a website with a minimum of 25,000 unique visits per month.
Please complete the form in order to complete your requalification.
For Freelance members who own a travel website/blog
If you are the owner of a travel website that generates a proven revenue stream, has a minimum of 9 new articles with a word count of at least 250 or 60 secs per post, and has a minimum of 10,000 unique visitors per month for the past 12 months, please provide the following:
How to Submit Clips:
ALL supporting documentation must be submitted in the form below. Please include your sources and the points attributable to each source (i.e. print publication, print publication that appeared online, published photographs). Questions, please contact [email protected]
Make sure pdf names includes the first few words of the matching headline or title.
Max. file size: 12 MB, Max. files: 12.
Drop files here or