Make a Phoenix Nomination
The Phoenix Award is SATW’s highest recognition bestowed to individuals, businesses, organizations and communities who have demonstrated exceptional efforts in preserving, conserving, beautifying or protecting the historic, cultural and natural resources of an area. Established in 1969, the SATW Phoenix Awards was one of the first programs to acknowledge the importance of resource stewardship. These tangible results enhance the economic, socio-cultural heritage, and/or environmental benefits to the destination and its value to travelers of today and tomorrow. The Phoenix Awards and their SATW nominators are announced during the Society’s Annual Convention, followed by award ceremonies conducted locally for the winners.
SATW members are invited to nominate individuals, communities, for-profit businesses or non-profit organizations that have contributed to a quality travel experience through proven conservation, preservation, beautification or environmental efforts. Nominations describing the evolution of worthy projects are considered by the SATW Phoenix Committee and submitted with recommendations to the Board of Directors for final approval.
The nomination form is in two parts. The first section is about the “nominee” for the Phoenix Award. The second section specifically relates to you, the nominator. We encourage nominators to interview nominees or ask nominees for information/assistance with the questions on this form. More detailed information strengthens the nomination. Along with inspiring images, consider including quotes by local or international personalities that speak to the importance or worthiness of the nominee, as well as copies of clippings by writers that extoll its importance. Completing the nomination form in its entirety also provides greater insights and information for the committee to review. Nominations are evaluated on:
- Quality and scope of preservation/beautification/conservation/environmental project
- Community involvement/partnerships
- Impact on local community
- Degree of difficulty to accomplish the preservation/conservation/enhancement effort
MUST READ BEFORE SUBMITTING NOMINATION
1. The deadline to submit applications is August 10, 2020.
2. Prepare your answers in advance. There is a timeout on each page after 20 minutes. Therefore, we recommend reviewing the form in advance to help prepare for your submission.
3. You will need to submit 4 photos. Photos must have a high resolution of 5 MBs per image. Use horizontal photos if possible. Please keep the data size of each image to 5 MB. There is an absolute threshold of 20 MB of storage capacity in this form. If you have greater than 20 MB of photos uploaded the form will not be processed correctly.
4. Your nomination will be disqualified if you (the nominator) have any known association with the applicant (either as an employee/employer, client, associate, or other professional relationship). You are encouraged to find another member to nominate this entity for consideration if you have a business relationship with an entity that you think deserves a Phoenix nomination.
Questions? Reach out to Toby Saltzman at [email protected].